- world and polar regions
- mediterranean sea
- celestial maps
- curiosities and portraits
Antique maps > europe > austria > Antique map of Sankt Polten by Braun & Hogenberg
S. Polid vulgo Sanpolten. Inferioris Austriae Civitas - Braun & Hogenberg, 1618.
Antique map - bird's-eye view of Sankt Pölten by Braun and Hogenberg after G. Hoefnagel and son, 1617. Key to four locations.
CAPTION: S. Polid, known in German as St Pölten, city in Lower Austria.
CARTOUCHE TOP RICHT: Procured by Georg Hoefnagel, drawn by his son Jakob in 1617.
CARTOUCHE BOTTOM LEFT: The conspiratorial and rebellious Austrian peasants met on this hill in '97 and '98. The leaders and instigators of this act of high treason were therefore martyred to death in various manners at this very place and, as a warning to others, crucified.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "This city recently became known in an inglorious manner when the rabble and the peasants rose up against the authorities here in 1597. For after many of then had complained in secret about the heavy burden of taxes and compulsory labour, and noticed that many others felt the same way, they took up their weapons. [...] Then the Count of Thurn came with some horsemen and attacked the peasants at night, giving them such a fright that they scattered in all directions."
This view from a hill shows the well-fortified city dominated by the towers of the abbey belonging to the monastery of Augustinian Canons and of the town hall. On the foreground on the left are armed peasants and in the middle two nobles, one of whome is looking at the peasants while pointing to the bodies of the executed rebels hanging on gallows on the right. The Roman town of Aelium Cetium that once existed on the site of this historic city was granted city privileges in the 2nd century AD. A Benedictine monastery dedicated to St Hippolytus was erected here in the 8th century and converted into the above-mentioned monastery of Augustinian Canons around 1050. In 1159 St Pölten received a municipal charter. The city wall was built in the 13th century and provided protection from the Turks in 1529 and in 1683. (Taschen)
Date of the first edition: 1617
Date of this map: 1618
Size: 30 x 48cm (11.7 x 18.6 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Excellent, superb old colour.
Condition Rating: A+
References: Van der Krogt 4, 4162; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.459.
From: Theatri praecipuarum Totius Mundi Urbium Liber Sextus Anno MDCXVIII. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.6)
Item number: 23429
Price: 850 Euro
Question about this map