- world and polar regions
- mediterranean sea
- celestial maps
- curiosities and portraits
Antique maps > europe > eastern europe > Antique map of Poland - Lowicz by Braun & Hogenberg
Lovicensis Civitas - Braun & Hogenberg, 1618.
Bird's-eye view of Lowicz in Poland.
BANDEROLE: The city of Lowicz, seat of the archbishop Gniezno in Masovia.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "The city lies in a very advantageous position on the River Bzura, in a very beautiful setting. It has broad streets and many squares, a fine marketplace, gardens and very imposing churches, namely, a very ornate collegiate church, two parish churches and two monastery churches. In this area - and nowhere else - there is a kind of bird that they call sniegal, because it comes with the snow and goes away with it, and that is very tender and tasty to eat. The city is so full of artisans of all kinds that it is referred to as the Polish Nuremberg."
This is a bird's-eye view from the south of Lowicz, which lies in the Masovian Plain on the River Bzura. On an island in the northwest is the 14th-century castle, the main residence of the archbishops of Gniezno and the administrative centre. In a triangular area in the middle is the town hall, and below it the church of the Holy Spirit, the Bernadine monastery with its late Gothic church is at the southern edge of the city. On the right the 15th century Gothic collegiate church can be seen. Lowicz is first mentioned in 1136 in a Bull by Pope Innocent III. Thanks to many privileges the city attained prosperity in the 16th century with its crafts industry. The famous Lowicz fairs attracted merchants from many countries and even the Polish kings attended regularly. (Taschen)
Size: 32.5 x 49cm (12.7 x 19.1 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Excellent, superb old colour.
Condition Rating: A+
References: Koeman II, Ja15 (44); Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.484.
From: Theatri praecipuarum Totius Mundi Urbium Liber Sextus Anno MDCXVIII. (Koeman, B&H6)
Item number: 23453
Price: 1100 Euro
Question about this map