- world and polar regions
- mediterranean sea
- celestial maps
- curiosities and portraits
Antique maps > europe > germany > Antique map of Brixen - Lauingen by Braun & Hogenberg
Brixen - Brixia Tyrolis [on sheet with] Laugingen - Laubinga Sueviae Opp. Alberti Magni Patria. - Braun & Hogenberg, 1599.
Bird's-eye views of Bressanone (Brixen) in South Tirol Italy and Lauingen in Schwaben Germany.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "The countryside around Bressanone is surrounded on all sides by high mountains and there are many splendid fruit trees and other things here, notably white and red wine, so excellent that it is bought at a high price and exported to distant countries, where it is often drunk at princely tables and is reserved for banquets of state. The city boasts a very fine episcopal cathedral and a collegiate church as well as an ancient episcopal palace."
Bressanone (in German Brixen), which is situated in a valley at the confluence of the Rienza and the Isarco, is seen from a mountain vantage point west-southwest of the city. The wide bridge spanning the Isarco leads to the parish church of St Michael with its pointed spire in the east abutting the chancel. To the left of it is the smaller 12th-century cathedral. The importance of the city's location at the head of the Brenner Pass is underscored by the inscription Roads from Potzen (Bolzano). Made an episcopal see in AD 990, Bressanone became the self-governing seat of prince-bishops in the 11th century. In 1150 Bressanone was fortified with walls and the transit traffic flourishing on the Brenner route made its citizens prosper.
CARTOUCHE: Lauingen in Swabia, birthplace of Albertus Magnus.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Lauingen is an old town on the Danube belonging to the Bavarian princes is Swaba, which can be seen not only in the design of its houses but can be read from its many Latin inscriptions. This city is the birthplace of Albertus Magnus, who descended from the illustrious Sollstetter family. On the site of his birthplace or house, a handsome church has been built, on the tower of which his likeness has been placed by the inhabitants to commemorate him."
This view from the east shows Lauingen, which is known for its artisans, as the figures in the foreground indicate. The bolts of cloth laid out to bleach on the meadows allude to the craft of weaving, which was an important source of income for the town. Erected as a watchtower in the 15th century, the Schimmel tower (Hofturn) dwarfs the town. To the left is the late Gothic hall church of St Martin. The Spitalkirche (Hospice Church) by the Danube, whose late Gothic tower is clearly visible to the right of the 15th-century castle, dates from the 13th century. It was built by the Dukes of Bavaria-Landshut. Lauingen, which is first mentioned in the 8th century, is now a small town in the rural district of Dillingen. (Taschen)
Antique map of Bressanone (Brixen) - Lauingen by Braun & Hogenberg
Date of the first edition: 1588
Date of this map: 1599
Size: 33.5 x 49.5cm (13 x 19.2 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Old coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 632; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.322.
From: Liber quartus Urbium Praecipuarum totius Mundi. Cologne, Bertram Buchholtz, 1599. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.4(1599))
Item number: 22288
Price: 650 Euro
Question about this map