- world and polar regions
- mediterranean sea
- celestial maps
- curiosities and portraits
Antique maps > europe > Netherlands - Cities > Antique map of 's-Hertogenbosch by Braun & Hogenberg
t's Hertogenbosch - Braun & Hogenberg, 1612
Bird's-eye view plan of 's-Hertogenbosch by Braun and Hogenberg, engraved after a map by Jacob van Deventer, mid-16th century..
TRANSLATION CARTOUCHE TEXT: Hadrianus Barlandus. 's-Hertogenbosch, a Brabantian city famous for its school and its warlike people. In earlier times the people of Guelders felt the effect of their weapons more than once, and our troops fought against them with varying success. Here stands a church dedicated to the Mother of God, a magnificent work.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "The people in 's-Hertogenbosch are naturally communicative, friendly and modest, and they are skilled in trade and handicrafts. They are leaders in spinning and weaving, and cloth worth 200,000 crowns is spun and woven here every year. The local water is of great advantage to them, for it has the natural property of making the cloth whiter than any water can. In this city there are also ver skilful cutlers who manufacture needles and pins of such high quality and in such great quantity that they are sought after in all parts of the world."
In this large-format bird's-eye plan of 's-Hertogenbosch the cathedral of St John (top) is surrounded by a green. It is one of the most important churches in the Netherlands. Initially planned as a parish church, it became the cathedral of the newly founded diocese of 's-Hertogenbosch in 1559. This plan shows the charasteristic, almost triangular Old Town, with the marketplace that also has a triangular shape, and the little Rivers Dommel and Aa with their many arms flowing around and through the city. 's-Hertogenbosch was granted a municipal charter in 1185 and in the late Middle Ages it was a market centre for farmers from the surrounding region, who traded here in linen spun from flax and cloth woven from wool. Besides having been a centre of the cloth industry, 's-Hertogenbosch was a distribution point for wine, fish and sandstone, and was of cultural significance: the painter Hieronymus Bosch lived and worked here and the humanist Georgius Macropedius, really Joris van Lanckfelt, was a teacher at the Latin school in 's-Hertogenbosch. Situated on a sandy ridge in the middle of marshes and strongly fortified, this strategically important city was for a long time considered impregnable. The Dutch Revolt in the 16th century put an end to the economic prosperity it enjoyed in the late Middle Ages. (Taschen)
Cartographer: Jacob van Deventer
Date of the first edition: 1588
Date of this map: 1612
Size: 34 x 47cm (13.3 x 18.3 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Old coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 1778; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.284.
From: Liber Quartus Urbium Praecipuarum Totius Mundi. Cologne,Petrus von Brachel, 1612. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.4(1612))
Item number: 13655
Price: 900 Euro
Question about this map