- world and polar regions
- mediterranean sea
- celestial maps
- curiosities and portraits
Antique maps > europe > spain and portugal > Antique map of Ardales & Cartama by Braun & Hogenberg
Hardales [on sheet with] Cartama - Braun & Hogenberg, 1598.
Antique map with two bird's-eye views by Braun and Hogenberg: Ardales and Cartama
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "On a high cliff above Ardales stands a fortress that was built by the Moors in earlier times on the border with Seville. The fortress was later furnished with additional buildings by the Christians, victors over the Moors. There is an irrigation channel here along which clear, pure water is conducted from the neighbouring mountain to the fortress and on to the town and which brings the inhabitants an abundance of water with its many advantages."
The view shows Ardales situated on a tributary of the River Guadalhorce between Ronda and Antquera. High above the town is the fortress, perched on one of the foothills of the Sierra de Peñarruba at an elevation of some 500 m. It was built towards the end of the 9th century by rebellious Moors and served as a stronghold for the insurgents grouped around Umar inbn-Hafsun, who revolted against the Emirate of Córdoba and later converted to Christianity. The revolt ended in AD 928 with the capture of the rebels' headquarters - the nearby fortress of Bobastro - by the eighth Emir of Córdoba, 'Abd ar-Rahman III. After the successful campaign of the Reconquista by Ferdinand III, Ardales found itself on the border between Christian Seville and Moorish Granada and was occupied by both sides alternately, until finally falling to the Christians in 1453/54. It was the latter, in the 15th and 16th centuries, who constructed the irrigation channel (Cannos d'agua, right) that brings water to the city from the nearby Sierra de Alcaparain.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Cártama lies two miles from Malaga at the foot of a large mountain that runs all the way to the Mediterranean. It is a small town with a fortress and whose inhabitants live from arable farming and cattle breeding. In the vicinity there are many oaks and trees with walnuts, which are used for ink, for dyeing leather and also in medicines. Capers also grow there in great numbers, which are collected by the common people, taken to the capital of Málaga and from there exported across the sea to the Netherlands and other countries."
The view shows Cártama, which lies west of Málaga. Due to its strategic location on the right bank of the Guadalhorce and along a natural route from the coast into the interior, it was settled early on by the Iberians. Over the following centuries it was occupied by the Phoenicians and in 195 BC by the Romans, who left many archaeological traces of their 600-year rule. The fortress, originally established by the Iberians and considerably enlarged by the Romans, was rebuilt by the Visigoths. It assumed a key importance, however, only after the invasion of the Moors, who in the 10th century gave the castle its present form and for whom it served as one of Málaga's most important defences. It was finally conquered by the Catholic king in 1485. (Taschen)
Copper engraving, after drawings by Georg Hoefnagel.
Size: 37.5 x 49cm (14.6 x 19.1 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Old coloured., excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 229, st.1; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.357.
From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, ... Part 5. Köln, 1598.
Item number: 00229
Price: 380 Euro
Question about this map