- world and polar regions
- mediterranean sea
- celestial maps
- curiosities and portraits
Antique maps > europe > austria > Antique map of Linz by Braun and Hogenberg
Linsum Austriae vulgo Lintz - Braun and Hogenberg, 1575.
Antique map - bird's-eye view of Linz, with key to locations.
CAPTION: Linsum Austriae, in the vernacular Linz.
Signed and dated top right: Depicted by Lukas van Valckenborch, procured by Georg Hoefnagel. In the year 1594.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on the verso): "It is indeed impossible to say how many terrible fires have ravaged the city in the past and in more recent times. The first occasion was 1451, just at Eastertide, when it went up almost entirely in flames. Only a short while later, in 1459, when the city had risen but a little from the ashes, a raging blaze destroyed not only private and public buildings but also the bell tower belonging to the main church. This fire was particularly terrifying because it broke out at night. And then in 1542, at the very time when King Ferdinand was staying in the castle with his most beloved wife, part of the city was destroyed for a third time by a large and devastating fire. Thanks to the extraordinary generosity and paternal care of this king, however, Linz was restored to its former glory within a short time."
Presented in a perspective framework from the northwest, the view of Hagan castle - here almost hidden by roots and brambles - and the River Danube, on the far side of which appears Linz. Dominating the city from the top of a hill on the right is the imperial palace (N), which arose from 1477 out of a 9th-century fortress and served Emperor Frederick III and his son Maximilian I as an imperial residence. The parish church of the Assumption of the Virgin (K) rises prominently on the left. In the centre stands the Landhaus (M), begun in 1568, whose tower was further heightened on several occasions. The Landhaus formed the focus of Linz's economic and cultural life and from 1574 onwards housed the Protestant estates school, whose teaching staff included Johannes Kepler. Running across the background are the Alpine foothills between Erzberg (R) and Traunstein (Q). (Taschen)
Date of the first edition: 1596
Date of this map: 1596
Date on map: 1594
Size: 34 x 49cm (13.3 x 19.1 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Old coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 2390, State 1; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.412.
From: Urbium Praecipuarum Mundi Theatrum Quintum Auctore Georgio Braunio Agrippinate. Part 5. Köln, 1596/97. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.5)
Item number: 22104
Price: 680 Euro
Question about this map