- world and polar regions
- mediterranean sea
- celestial maps
- curiosities and portraits
Antique maps > europe > Netherlands - Cities > Antique map of Delft by Braun and Hogenberg
Delft - Delphum Urbs Hollandiae cultissima ab eiusdem nominis fossa vulgo, Delfft appellata - Braun & Hogenberg, 1581-88.
Bird's-eye view plan of Delft.
TRANSLATION OF TEXT IN CARTOUCHE: Delphum, a highly cultivated city in Holland, named after the canal of the same name, in Dutch Delft.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Delft is surrounded by thick ring walls and with such a wide moat that even a strong man can barely throw a stone across it. The buildings within are magnificently constructed. If we start with the churches, first mention must go to the main church, called the New Church, a large, magnificent and beautiful church dedicated to St Ursula. There is also a large market in the city."
The city, criss-crossed by numerous narrow canals, is seen in a bird's-eye from the east. Its main buildings, on other hand, are presented in an impressive fashion in side view: the New Church (Nieuwe Kerck) on the market square with its enormous tower and the Gothic town hall (Das Rath huis). Granted its charter in 1246, Delft became an important centre of trade for the region. In 1618 the town hall burned to the ground and - with the exception of its prison tower Het Steen - thus no longer survives in the form illustrated here. Not far from the central market square rises the Oude Kerk, whose leaning tower, known as the "Lange Jan", has become Delft's landmark. Behind the Oude Kerk lies the convent of Sint-Agatha, today known as the Prinsenhof (Prince's Court), since William I, Prince of Orange, resided here. (Taschen)
Size: 35.5 x 48.5cm (13.9 x 18.9 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Old coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 1016, State 2; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.235.
From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum. . Liber tertius. Köln, G. Kempen, 1581-88. (Koeman, B&H3)
Item number: 22210
Question about this map