- world and polar regions
- mediterranean sea
- celestial maps
- curiosities and portraits
Antique maps > europe > italy > Antique views of Acquapendente and Tarvisio by Braun and Hogenberg
Aquapendente [on sheet with] Tarvisi - Braun & Hogenberg, 1598.
Views of Acquapendente and Tarvisio by G. Hoefnagel after Ludovico Toeput.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "Acquapendente is a small, strung-out town on a mountain, on the road from Siena to Rome, between the Lago di Bolsena and the River Paglia, which is crossed by a bridge with six spans."
The view from the west highlights the town's dramatic location on a precipitous rock terrace. On the left of the town lies the cathedral of San Sepolcro and in the centre the church of San Francesco, whose prominent bell tower dates from the Renaissance. On top of the hill on the far right lies the Monastero di Santa Chiara, built in 1333 on a site formerly occupied by an imperial fortress. Acquapendente, which in 1499 became part of the Papal States, lies north of the Lake Bolsena on the road that leads from Siena to Rome via Viterbo.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "Treviso is a noble town in the March of Treviso and very famous in the history of the Goths, since the father of King Totila, who ruled in Verona and Treviso, took particular delight in this town and lived there himself, and his son Totila, who later became king of the Ostrogoths, was born and educated there. The city of Treviso has all the necessities of life in abundance, for it is very well supplied with grain, wine, other fruits and cattle. In the city on the River Sile there are very many drinking fountains and magnificent buildings and houses."
The fortified city of Treviso is seen from the south, in its picturesque setting on the banks of the Sile River with the Alps (11) in the background. The tallest tower in the city is the Torre del Comune (6) on the Piazza dei Signori, which is surrounded by palaces with open arcades. Further left is the cathedral of San Pietro (1). Further left again is the Dominican church of San Nicolò, an example of Romanesque and Gothic brick architecture. The chapterhouse contains a fresco cycle by Tomaso da Modena that includes the earliest representation of a pair of spectacles. The tall, unlabelled tower between the cathedral and the Torre del Comune probably belongs to the church of San Francesco, part of a Franciscan monastery founded in the early 13th century. Buried in the church are two children of famous Italian poets: a son of Dante and a daughter of Petrarch. (Taschen)
Size: 36.5 x 49cm (14.2 x 19.1 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Excellent, superb old colour.
Condition Rating: A+
References: Van der Krogt 4, 36; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.424.
From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, ... Part 5. Köln, 1598.
Item number: 24195
Price: 650 Euro
Question about this map