- world and polar regions
- mediterranean sea
- celestial maps
- curiosities and portraits
Antique maps > europe > austria > Antique map of Innsbruck by Braun and Hogenberg
Oenipons, sive Enipontius vulgo Insspruck, Tirolensis Comitatus Urbs Amplissima MDLXXV - Braun & Hogenberg, 1575-1612.
Bird's-eye view of Innsbruck.
TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: Oenipons, or Enipontus, in German Innsbruck, a very distinguished city of the Duchy of Tyrol. 1575.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Innsbruck has an indescribably advantageous position and very fertile soil. The sovereigns of the land therefore very early chose it as their seat. ... There is a very fine town hall there, most of which is gilded, and another house, built by Emperor Maximilian, that is covered with silver tiles."
Innsbruck, the capital of the Tyrol, is shown from the west overlooking the district of Mariahilf. The town hall stands out with its characteristic tower. The Neuhofbuilding with the Golden Roof, a magnificent late Gothic oriel window, is not visible due to the chosen perspective, but the spire of the Gothic church of St James can be seen on the left. Today the 18th-century cathedral of St James stands on this site. The Gothic Spitalkirche (or hospice, on the right) was also replaced in the 18th century by a new, Baroque building. Innsbruck is mentioned for the first time around 1167 and was granted a municipal charter around 1200. In Braun and Hogenberg's day the city was the residence of the Tyrol line of the Habsburgs (1564-1665) and had a population of about 5,000, which today has grown to over 139,000. (Taschen)
Size: 34 x 42.5cm (13.3 x 16.6 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Old coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A+
References: Van der Krogt 4, 1891; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.172.
From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, ... Part 2. Köln, 1575-1612.
Item number: 22402
Price: 700 Euro
Question about this map