- world and polar regions
- mediterranean sea
- celestial maps
- curiosities and portraits
Antique maps > europe > northern europe > Antique map of Odense by Braun and Hogenberg.
Civitates Episcopalis Othenarum sive Otthoniae, ut vulgo Dicitur, Fioniae ... - Braun & Hogenberg, 1598.
Antique map - Bird'seye plan of Odense by Braun and Hogenberg.
TRANSLATION OF CAPTION: The picture shows the present location and shape of the episcopal city of Othenarum or Odense in the vernacular, the capital of Funen, the loviest and most fertile island in the Kingdom of Denmark. In the year of grace 1593. Heinrich Rantzau, known for his high birth, virtue and fame, counsellor to the royal Danish court, lord of the Duchies of Schleswig, Holstein and Dithmarschen and a patron of grand and splendid endeavours, bore the costs.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN (on verso): "Odense is the capital of Funen, which is the loveliest and most fertile island in the Kingdom of Denmark. It is distinguished by magnificent buildings and splendid churches, of which the noblest is the basilica of the King of Denmark, St Canute. Within the city there is also a St John's monastery, but since all the monks have died, it now houses the royal town hall. The city has a large, wide market in which tribunals are also held and fish is sold."
The Danish city of Odense is presented in a sweeping panorama seen in a bird's-eye view from the south. The River Odense winding its way across the landscape flows into the fjord in the top right-hand corner. It is noticeable that, in place of the ramparts present in most other cities, Odense is surrounded simply by a wooden fence. The city's numerous churches include, in the lower half of the picture on the left, the Sankt Knuds Kirke, or cathedral of St Canute, originally associated with a monastery and one of Denmark's largest and most important works of sacred architecture. In 1086, during a popular uprising, the Danish king Canute IV was murdered together with a number of his supporters in the wooden church that preceded the present building. Odense ("Odin's shrine") is mentioned for the first time in AD 988, in the Viking context of the cult of Odin. In the 11th century it became an episcopal see, and in the mid-14th century was granted the rights of a trading city. Part of the royal court moved here c. 1500, stimulating growth both in the city and in the trade. Around 1600 the town had 6,000 inhabitants. (Taschen)
Date of the first edition: 1596
Date of this map: 1596-1640
Size: 32.5 x 47.5cm (12.7 x 18.5 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Excellent, superb old colour.
Condition Rating: A+
References: Van der Krogt 4, 3146; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.385.
From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, ... Part 5. Köln, 1596-1640.
Item number: 23372
Price: 750 Euro
Question about this map