- world and polar regions
- mediterranean sea
- celestial maps
- curiosities and portraits
Antique maps > europe > central europe > Antique map of Nové Zámky (Slovakia) and Visegrád (Hungary) by G. Hoefnagel - Braun & Hogenberg
Owar Germanice Nieuhuisel [on sheet with] Vizzegrad, Germanice Plindeburg - Braun & Hogenberg, 1598.
Bird's-eye views of Nové Zámky (Slovakia) and Visegrád (Hungary) by G. Hoefnagel and son, 1595.
NOVÉ ZÁMKY (ÉRSEK-ÚJVÁR)
CAPTION: Owar, in German Neuhäusel.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Owar is the name in Hungarian of a castle, called Neuhäusel in German, that lies in Upper Hungary and which is securely fortified by six bastions of the finest construction [...] and is occupied by a detachment of soldiers for the freedom and protection of the neighbouring town. The surrounding moat is supplied with the necessary water by a flowing stream. On the marketplace stands a wooden house in which Turkish captives are held until they have paid their ransom or have been exchanged for other Christian captives."
The fortress of Nové Zámky on the River Nitra is seen in a bird's-eye view. The six-bastioned complex, of which few traces now survive, was built largely from 1573 to 1581 as a stronghold against the Ottomans and withstood ten sieges before finally falling to the Turks in 1663. The detailed military staffage - cannon, soldiers, the heads of the enemy speared on trees (G) - brings the castle's history to life. Despite its small size, three churches were erected within the fortress bounds during the 16th century: one Catholic (C), one German Lutheran (E) and one Hungarian Calvinist (D). The fortress remained in Turkish hands for some 20 years before being reconquered by the Austrians in 1685. In 1692 it was granted its charter by the archbishop of Esztergom. In the 18th century its fortifications were razed. Part of Hungary until 1918, Nové Zámky today belongs to Slovakia.
CAPTION: Vizzegrad, in German Plintenburg.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Plintenburg is an old castle on a high mountain on the right-hand side of the Danube, well fortified and well equipped with the necessary munitions. At the foot of the mountain, directly beside the Danube, lies a small town that was razed and burned by the Turks. The Hungarian king had often stayed there in the past on account of its healthy air. Opposite lies the little town of Maros, where the Christians live by making tribute payments. It has a large church with a tall tower in which the Catholic religion is expounded and preached."
The small town of Visegrád, shown here in a view from the southwest, lies north of Budapest. Perched high above the settlement, which lies at the foot of Visegrád Hill, is the fortress of the Hungarian kings. The town of Nagymaros (Maros) appears on the opposite, left bank of the river. In former times the limes - the frontier of the Roman Empire, guarded by forts - ran along the right bank of the Danube. Slavs settled on the ruins of one such fort, and in the Middle Ages the Árpád and Angevin kings built a new castle nearby. This was lavishly renovated in the second half of the 15th century under Mathias Corvinus and his wife Beatrix of Aragon. The settlement was occupied for over a century (1544-1685) by the Turks, who left it decimated after their withdrawal. The remains of the once magnificent complex confirm that Visegrád was an important royal fortress. (Taschen)
Size: 33 x 45.5cm (12.9 x 17.7 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Excellent, superb old colour.
Condition Rating: A+
References: Van der Krogt 4, 3120; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.412.
From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, ... Part 5. Köln, 1598.
Item number: 23401
Price: 1100 Euro
Question about this map