- world and polar regions
- mediterranean sea
- celestial maps
- curiosities and portraits
Antique maps > europe > Netherlands - Cities > Antique map of Amsterdam by Braun & Hogenberg
Amstelodamum In quo cedes Sacrae, Curia Hospitalia, cum vicis et Burchvallis omniumquae interfluentiumalueis, accurate omnia delineantur, . . . - Braun & Hogenberg, 1617.
tique map - City plan of Amsterdam by Braun and Hogenberg.
TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT LEFT: Amsterdam. Here the church buildings and the town hall, with the various parts of the city and fortifications and the surrounding canals all accurately drawn; and also the outlines of the New Town.
CARTOUCHE RIGHT: The dotted areas denote the Old Town; the remaining part is new.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "When Amsterdam passed to the county it was impecunious, but it gradually increased in size and wealth to such an unbelievable extent that it has repeatedly, and for the last time very recently, been extended by more than half. [...] What inexpressible riches are heaped, as it were, on this city. One could say that Amsterdam wants for nothing, except that it has too much wealth. The city is like a store house from which not only neighbouring but also far distant countries are supplied in times of need, like Italy and Spain a few years ago. Here no one is excluded, but participation is open to anyone, of whatever nation or religion, who desires to carry on honest trade."
This city map oriented to the southwest is an update of the view of Amsterdam dating from 1572 shown in Volume I of the Civitates. It became necessary because of the drastic changes that had taken place since then. In the course of the city's rapid increase in prosperity, resulting not least from the East Indian trade, it was also considerably extended in size. The Oude Kerk, built before 1300 and converted into a basilica in the 16th century, can be made out, as can the fortifications of 1593, some of the most modern at the time, featuring 12 bastions. In addition, the map documents the extension of the city resolved in 1607, which began with the construction of fortifications in the west; these marked the new boundary of the city, and the planned continuation is indicated in outline. (Taschen)
Date of the first edition: 1617
Date of this map: 1617
Size: 27.5 x 38.5cm (10.7 x 15 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Old coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.447.
From: Theatri praecipuarum Totius Mundi Urbium Liber Sextus Anno MDCXVII. (Koeman, B&H6)
Item number: 22130
Price: 800 Euro
Question about this map