- world and polar regions
- mediterranean sea
- celestial maps
- curiosities and portraits
Antique maps > world and polar regions > Set of five antique maps, World + Continents, by W. & J. Blaeu.
Beautiful matched set "World and Continents" of Blaeu's Major Atlas
Nova Et Accuratissima Totius Terrarum Orbis Tabula. Auctore Ioanne Blaeu. [+ four maps of the continents] - J. Blaeu, 1664.
The world map by Joan Blaeu in two hemispheres, the continents all with panels at top and sides.
- Nova Totius Terrarum Orbis Geographica ac Hydrographica - 41 x 55cm (16 x 21.5 inches) , (Shirley (World) 428, pl.315; Van der Krogt 2, 0001:2B)
- Europa recens descripta - 41x55,5cm. (Van der Krogt 2, 1000:2; Schilder 6, 26.3)
- Africa nova descriptio - 41x55,5cm. (Van der Krogt 2, 8600:2; Schilder 6, 11,2)
- Asia noviter delineata - 41x55,5cm. (Van der Krogt 2, 8000:2; Schilder 6, 21.2)
- Americae nova Tabula - 41x55cm. (Van der Krogt 2, 9000:2; Schilder 6, 16.4; Burden, 189 State 4)
Verso text: Dutch
Condition: Old coloured. Very nice set.
Condition Rating: A+
From: J. Blaeus Grooten Atlas, oft Werelt- Beschryving, in welcke 't Aerdryck, de Zee, en Hemel, wort vertoont en beschreven. Amsterdam, J. Blaeu, 1664. (Van der Krogt 2, 621)
The world map is adorned with allegorical figures along the bottom depicting the four seasons, celestial figures along the top, and portraits of the astronomers Galileo Galilei in the upper left and Tycho Brahe in the upper right.
"The new world map prepared by Joan Blaeu for his eleven-volume Atlas Major in 1662 is, unlike its predecessor, in two hemispheres. It is not directly taken from the large original of 1648 but is copied from one of his competitor's reductions, perhaps that by Nicolaas Visscher. The particular outline of California, the inclusion of Nova Albion, Pt.Sr. Franco Draco, and part of Anian are features not found on the large 1648 map.
As with all productions by the firm of Blaeu, the engraving and layout and elegance of decoration are all of the highest standard. The map is invariably printed on thick paper of quality and often superbly handcoloured. Outside the twin hemispheres at the top are celestial figures seated amid clouds; below are representations of the four seasons with each allegorical figure seated in an appropriate chariot quaintly drawn by pairs of beasts and birds." (Shirley)
Item number: 06673
Question about this map