- world and polar regions
- mediterranean sea
- celestial maps
- curiosities and portraits
Antique maps > europe > germany > Antique map of Kempten in Allgäu by Braun and Hogenberg
Campidonia vulgo Kemptten, Peruetus Sacri Romani Imperij Oppid. - Braun and Hogenberg, 1575.
Bird's-eye view plan of Kempten in Allgäu with key to locations.
Engraved after a woodcut broadsheet by Hans Abelin and Hans Rogel, Augsburg 1569.
CARTOUCHE: Campidonia, in German Kempten, ancient imperial town.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Kempten is a very old town that was created an imperial city, it is very well protected and fortified and has courageous soldiers, very good knives are also made there and much white and blue linen."
This view from the east over the Iller shows the city walls, which in places are double. The middle of the town is dominated by the church of St Mang. In the northern part of the city is the town hall dating from 1474 (21), outside the city walls (10) are the monastery and church of St Lawrence (26), which were both destroyed in the course of the Swedish invasion in 1632. The town grew up in the 8th century around the Benedictine monastery and in 1340 it was granted a municipal charter based on Ulm law. In 1477 the first paper mill started operating on the Iller (15). In 1525 the city secured its freedom by buying the property rights of the monastery and electing to accept Protestantism.
Size: 34 x 45cm (13.3 x 17.6 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Old coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A+
References: Van der Krogt 4, 2045; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.174.
From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, ... Part 2. Köln, 1575-1612.
Item number: 22398
Price: 500 Euro
Question about this map