- world and polar regions
- mediterranean sea
- celestial maps
- curiosities and portraits
Antique maps > europe > switzerland > Antique map - bird's-eye plan of Basel by Braun and Hogenberg
Basilea - Braun & Hogenberg, 1575.
Antique map - bird's-eye plan of Basel by Braun and Hogenberg, with key to locations.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "The city of Basle consists of two parts, one side, which is on the French side, is called Greater Basle and is very old and a bishopric; it existed already at the time when the Romans were there. The smaller city on the German side has been linked to the greater part by a splendid bridge over the flowing Rhine. [...] No one who has seen this city can deny that it justly called a royal city, "Baslea", due to its fine straight streets and its neatly arranged and well-positioned buildings, all of which are magnificent and beautifully embellished, with lovely, charming gardens, this is where the monastery of St Peter and the Preachers' Monastery are found."
Basle is shown here from the northwest in a bird's-eye view appropriate to its size. In the foreground is Lesser Basle, on the far side of the bridge over the Rhine Greater Basle protected by a double circular wall, with the late Romanesque and Gothic minster (1) with its two characteristic towers on the west façade, the collegiate church of St Peter (3), the stately town hall with its high tower (4), the university founded in 1460 (6), the Dominican monastery (19, on the right) and the paper mill (12, top left). The Roman town of Augusta Raurica was founded in 44/43 BC; the name Basilea is first mentioned in AD 374. Basle was recorded as a bishopric in 740. In 1356 one of the biggest earthquakes north of the Alps destroyed most of the city; in addition a disastrous fire broke out. In 1460 Pope Pius II endowed the University of Basle, the oldest university in Switzerland. This attracted many scholars and humanists (Erasmus of Rotterdam, Hans Holbein the Younger, Paracelsus) and Basle became a centre of printing and publishing (Froben). In 1471 Emperor Friedrich III granted Basle the right to hold fairs. After the Swabian War against Emperor Maximilian I in 1499, Basle became independent from the Empire, joining the Old Swiss Confederation together with Schaffhausen in 1501. In 1529 the city accepted the reformed faith and the bishop had to leave the city. Around 1600 Basle had about 12,000 inhabitants, but between 1550 and 1611 there were several outbreaks of the plague and a third of the population died. (Taschen)
Date of the first edition: 1575
Date of this map: 1575
Size: 37.5 x 37.5cm (14.6 x 14.6 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Uncoloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 395; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p. 176.
From: Civitates Orbis Terrarum, ... Part 2: De Praecipuis, Totius Universi Urbibus, Liber Secundus. Köln, Gottfried von Kempen, 1575. (Van der Krogt 4, 41:1.2)
Item number: 09248
Price: 450 Euro
Question about this map