- world and polar regions
- mediterranean sea
- celestial maps
- curiosities and portraits
Antique maps > europe > northern europe > Antique map with two bird's-eye views of Stockholm by Braun and Hogenberg
Stockholm - Braun & Hogenberg, 1588-97.
Antique map with two bird's-eye views of Stockholm by Braun and Hogenberg after Hieronymus Scholäus.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Stockholm, which is celebrated for its commerce, large fairs and royal residences, is, however, an elegant city and, by virtue of its natural situation, one of the most secure cities in the entire Kingdom of Sweden because it is situated on a strait, which, moreover, is very deep, so that it is navigable by even the largest ships. [...] In the foreground on the narrow neck of this strait is a castle, but on the opposite side the mouth of the strait has been so narrowed by pilings driven into the seabed with crossbeams set above them that those seeking to sail in or out can be easily overcome artillery."
The top engraving, showing the timber houses so typical of Scandinavia, is a view from the northeast across what was then the suburb of Norrmalm and is now the city centre, to the city located on islands, with the Baltic on the left and Lake Mälaren on the right. Stockholm started out as an entrepôt between the lake and the inland waterways. The town is first mentioned in 1252 by the statesman Birger Jarl. A powerful keep with a fortified inner bailey was laid out in the late 13th century. Further, the complex is dominated by what is now the cathedral of St Nicholas. In 1270 a Franciscan monastery (right) was founded in the western part of the city. Construction on the nearby Riddarholmen church, which is still in use, began in 1280. The bottom engraving shows Stockholm from the southwest, focusing on what was once the mercantile city as well as the port with its quay; an embankment causeway links the island with the mainland. The Hanseatic League had a trading post here from the 14th century and the presence of the German merchants was strongly felt in the city. Trade was in iron and copper from the inland mines. The warship in the foreground signifies that the city had no need of fortifications on the sea to its powerful fleet. (Taschen)
Size: 32.5 x 47cm (12.7 x 18.3 inches)
Verso text: Latin
Condition: Old coloured, excellent.
Condition Rating: A
References: Van der Krogt 4, 4134; Taschen, Braun and Hogenberg, p.316.
From: Liber quartus Urbium Praecipuarum totius Mundi. (Koeman, B&H4)
Item number: 16390
Question about this map